First Gen: First Step
More than one-third of college students are the first in their families to go to college!
“First Generation College Student” is a unique identity. But what does it mean?
If your parents or legal guardians did not complete a bachelor's degree, then you are considered a first-generation college student.
First Gen, First Step Program
The College for Creative Studies’ First Gen, First Step leadership program was developed to assist incoming First Gen students acclimate to campus life, provide in-depth resources, and create a close-knit community to prepare them for success in their first year of college.
Throughout this three-day leadership development program, five selected First Gen students will get closely connected with CCS campus resources, dive into better understanding their strengths, and gain invaluable skills to thrive in college. With peer and staff mentorship, and opportunities to explore Detroit, students will quickly become integrated into a new and supportive CCS community.
Students selected for the program can expect to:
- Get personally connected with Campus Resources, such as Financial Aid, Center for Tutoring & Writing, Career Development, Wellness Center, and more.
- Gain insight to their innate strengths & how to use them to succeed.
- Find community with fellow First Gen students.
- Learn more about on-campus jobs & how to balance working while going to school.
- Meet with peer, faculty, & staff mentors who are also First Gens.
- Get tips on how to access & utilize your faculty members.
- Engage in community-building activities in Detroit.
- Have the option to enroll in a First-Gen specific First Year Experience course for Fall 2021.
Thursday, August 26 - Saturday, August 28
This is a free, pre-Orientation program for five first-year First Gen students. The program runs from Thursday, August 26 through Saturday, August 28 on the College for Creative Studies campus.
Program Application Opens: Monday, May 17
Program Application Closes: Friday, June 11
Helpful Resources for First Generation College Students
The First Gen, First Step program is funded by the Applebaum Family Compass Fund.
Student Engagement Manager