Commencement will be held on May 13, 2021 at 2:00 p.m. at the Aretha Franklin Amphitheater.
Graduates should plan to arrive at the venue at 12:00 p.m. At this time, each graduate will be provided with two (2) guest tickets for the Commencement Ceremony. Students should RSVP for their tickets via a survey sent out from Student Affairs. The ceremony will also be live-streamed.
Cap and gown pick-up will take place in the Student Affairs office on 4/13, 4/14, 4/15, and 4/16 from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Caps and gowns will also be available at the ceremony for those that are unable to pick them up during the four days listed previously.
Graduates from the classes of May 2020, December 2020, and May 2021 are all invited to participate.
Important Information Regarding Processes
- All graduates and guests will be required to wear a face-covering for the ceremony. As you walk across the stage, there will be a photographer taking pictures and we are planning on having a station set up where you can take off your mask for a quick photo before returning to your seat.
- All graduates will be required to show their green screen from the MI Symptom Checker that we have been using on campus all year.
- Seating will be structured to accommodate appropriate social distancing.
- The venue is an outdoor venue so please prepare for the weather. The venue is covered so during the ceremony you don't have to worry about rain, but the staging area where we will prepare for the processional at the start of the ceremony will not be covered so if there is a chance of rain, plan on bringing an umbrella with you.
- Other than anything needed for the weather, do not bring additional personal items with you. There is nowhere to store personal items like bags before or during the ceremony.
- The ceremony should last approximately two hours.
The official diploma will be mailed after the ceremony to the address indicated on the graduation application (unless academic requirements are not met or there is a hold on your account).
Custom diploma frames are available through the Student Affairs Office. There are two options: a high gloss black frame with gold trim and a contemporary black frame. Both come with a custom double mat, in black and gold, which has the college seal and name embossed in gold. The frames are designed to hold an 11" by 14" diploma.
The cost of each frame is $85 plus tax if they are purchased on campus and $115 plus tax if they need to be shipped. This price reflects the actual costs. They are also available through the framing company's website, www.framingsuccess.com.
If you would like to order a frame you can stop by the Student Affairs Office during business hours, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. or contact us at 313.664.7879 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If a graduate has a mobility impairment (wheelchair, crutches, etc.) or is hearing impaired, notify the Student Affairs Office at 313.664.7879 so that appropriate information can be provided.
While we won't be able to celebrate our annual Student Exhibition in-person, we are excited to announce a digital exhibition, opening May 14. More details on how to view the virtual exhibition will be forthcoming.
Office of Student Affairs
Second Floor - Yamasaki Building